Faculty of Education


Faculty history

Read about the Faculty's key historical milestones from 1881 to 2012.

1990 - 2012


  • 2012 Bronze plaque erected on the Epsom Campus to mark 90 years since the opening of the Rocklands Hall of Residence for young female students who studied at Auckland Teachers College.
  • 2011 Celebration of over 20 years of supporting schools in the region with current and former employees of the Education Advisory Service and Team Solutions.
  • 2011 The Faculty of Education won the netball and rugby trophies in the Interfaculty Sports Tournament - both teams completed their competitions undefeated and won their final matches convincingly.
  • 2010 $1.25million donated by the Woolf Fisher Trust to fund Lead Teacher Masters Scholarships for teachers in Auckland and Northland to undertake masters study in the Woolf Fisher Research Centre.
  • 2010 Celebration of the ten-year partnership between The University of Auckland and the Manukau Institute of Technology to offer the BEd(Tchg) Primary qualification to students in the Manukau region.
  • 2008 Associate Professor Graeme Aitken appointed Dean of the Faculty of Education.
  • 2006 125th Jubilee of teacher education in Auckland held at the Faculty of Education.
  • 2004 Auckland College of Education and The University of Auckland’s School of Education merge to form the University’s Faculty of Education with ACE CEO Dr John Langley as inaugural Dean.
  • 2002 ACE Bachelor of Social Work introduced. Joint ACE/University of Auckland Institute of Education established.
  • 1999 The University of Auckland introduces its own BEd(Tchg).  The University of Auckland at Manukau Institute of Technology programme established.
  • 1998 ACE launches MEd degree.
  • 1997 School of Education established within Faculty of Arts at The University of Auckland.  The University establishes DipTchg (Secondary) and DipTchg (Primary) graduate programmes.
  • 1996 The University of Auckland review of Department of Education recommends reinstating a university faculty of education.
  • 1996 ACE gains approval for stand-alone BEd(Tchg) degree to complement its BSocSci(Human Services).
  • 1992 ACE Tai Tokerau campus established in Whangarei.
  • 1990 – 1992 Introduction of collaboratively taught degrees (MEd, BEd, EdD) between Auckland College of Education and The University of Auckland managed through a Joint Board.

 

Top

1950 - 1989


  • 1987 University review of Department of Education recommends restoring closer relationships with ACE. Epsom library named after Sylvia Ashton-Warner.
  • 1986 Re-unified Auckland College of Education (ACE) established with Dennis McGrath as CEO.
  • 1985 Students from Catholic teacher education’s Loreto Hall transfer to Epsom. Kohanga reo established on campus.
  • 1983 College Marae established. Cut backs in student numbers result in voluntary redundancies. Duncan McGhie retires.
  • 1981 North Shore Teachers College staff and students begin transfer to Epsom. North Shore Teachers College closes 1983.
  • 1976 Original brick building demolished at Epsom.
  • 1975 Two year kindergarten teacher training relocated to Epsom.
  • 1974 Ardmore Teachers College closes.
  • 1972 The University of Auckland’s Faculty of Education disestablished and replaced by a Department of Education.
  • 1972 Major redevelopment of Epsom campus commences.
  • 1971 Control passes to Auckland Teachers Colleges Council from the Auckland Education Board.
  • 1968 Three year training for primary teachers introduced.
  • 1965 Duncan McGhie appointed principal of the primary college.
  • 1964 Post Primary department at Epsom breaks away to form Auckland Post-Primary Teachers’ College (renamed Auckland Secondary Teachers College; Auckland in 1966, Owen Gilmore as principal).
  • 1963 North Shore Teachers College opens (initially at Mt Roskill).
  • 1958 First full-time lecturer in Māori studies appointed at Epsom.

 

Top

1881 - 1949


  • 1948 Ardmore Teachers College opens.
  • 1934 - 1935 Training College closed as a cost-saving measure during the depression.
  • 1926 Classes begin on the new campus at Epsom.
  • 1924 Arthur Fitt (vice-principal of the Training College) takes up the new chair of education at Auckland University College.
  • 1922 Rocklands Hall (Training College Hall of Residence) opens.
  • 1917 Bert Milnes killed in WW1 at Passchendaele.
  • 1908 New Training College premises open next to normal school in Wellesley St.
  • 1906 Auckland Training College re-opens with Bert Milnes as principal.
  • 1887 Auckland Training College training programme ceases due to suspension of government funding.
  • 1883 Auckland University College (forerunner of The University of Auckland) opens.
  • 1881 Auckland Training College established with Alexander McArthur as first principal. Classes held at Wellesley Street School.