Mrs Vivienne Mackisack
MEd, PGDipSM, DipSTN, DipTchg
Vivienne is a fully registered teacher; with teaching experience spanning 30 years in primary, intermediate and secondary schools. Her school leadership roles included Acting Principal, Associate Principal, syndicate leader, curriculum leader, associate teacher, tutor teacher and SENCO. Vivienne joined the faculty in 2010 to support student teacher professional learning in the practicum. She has previously held the roles of Director of Primary Programmes, Associate Director Primary Teacher Education and Primary Practicum Co-ordinator. Vivienne chairs the National Lead Mentor team for the Enhanced Induction and Mentoring Programme. She is a Professional Teaching Fellow in the School of Learning, Development and Professional Practice.
Research | Current
- Initial teacher education and practicum experiences for student teachers
- the ways that universities and schools can work together to support student teacher learning during practicum
- the role of the professional supervisor
- mentor teacher development and identity
Doctoral research topic: What is it like to become a mentor teacher for student teachers?
TedNet: (2018- ) The Arctic University of Norway, UC Berkeley and The University of Auckland working together to develop the quality of initial teacher education at all three sites.
TLRI project: (2011-2012) focused on the practicum-based judgements made about student teachers' readiness to teach.
Teaching | Current
EDPROFST 392 - course director
EDPROFST 769 - course director
- National Lead Mentor: Enhanced Induction and Mentoring Programme
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) Primary
- Primary Practicum
Areas of expertise
- Student teacher professional learning and development
- Professional learning and development in the primary practicum
- Supervision/mentoring and professional practice
- Teacher Education Forum of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Auckland Primary Principals Association
- Teacher Education Network (TedNet)
- Practicum as a Participatory and Empowering Practice International Network
University Committees served on
- Learning, Development and Professional Practice Teaching Learning Quality Committee
- Faculty Initial Teacher Education Board of Studies
- Faculty Teaching Learning Quality Committee
- Primary Sector Advisory Group - Chair
- Master of Teaching Advisory Group
- Faculty Equity Committee
- Faculty Academic Programmes Committee
- Initial Teacher Education Committee
- Primary Sector Qualifications Subcommittee: Co-chair
- Primary Practicum Advisory Committee: Chair
- Normal School Deputy Principal forum: Chair
- Reframing Practicum Project: Co-ordinator
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Grudnoff, L., Haigh, M., & Mackisack, V. (2017). Re-envisaging and reinvigorating school–university practicum partnerships. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 45 (2), 180-193. 10.1080/1359866X.2016.1201043
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mavis Haigh, Lexie Grudnoff
- Haigh, M., Ell, F., & Mackisack, V. (2013). Judging teacher candidates' readiness to teach. Teaching and Teacher Education, 34, 1-11. 10.1016/j.tate.2013.03.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mavis Haigh, Fiona Ell
- Reed, K., Turner, G., Villers, H. M., & Mackisack, V. (2011). Making authentic and trustworthy practice-based judgement;Working together to make judgements of student teachers' readiness to teach. Paper presented at NZARE Annual Conference: Captured by the dawn, Bay of Plenty Polytechnic Windermere, Tauranga, New Zealand. 29 November - 1 December 2011.
- Villers, H., & Mackisack, V. (2011). Optimizing opportunities to learn during practicum: Developing collaborative partnerships between the university and school. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 12 (3), 183-194. Related URL.
- Mackisack, V., & Villers, H. (2010). An integrated professional learning community approach to practicum. Paper presented at Teacher Education Forum of Aotearoa New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand. 26 October - 28 October 2010.
H - BLOCK. EPSOM
Level 1, Room 112
74 EPSOM AVE
Primary office location
H - BLOCK. EPSOM - Bldg 6EH
Level 1, Room 112
EPSOM CAMPUS 74 EPSOM AVE