Dr Claudia Alejandra Rozas Gomez
PhD, MA (Hons), DipArts, DipTchg
I am interested in sociological and philosophical approaches to schooling and education and how these disciplines might help us to make education good and right. I have a particular interest in secondary English curriculum and its relationship to social equity and educated ideals. I am also interested in education policy and in the relationships between policy and practice.
Research | Current
In the School for Critical Studies in Education, my research explores the versions of secondary English that are possible right now and what these versions mean for teachers, students, and broader curriculum policy. I draw from a range of social theories and use both qualitative methodologies and theory as analytical frameworks. I am interested in how wider discourses produce particular truths about teaching and learning (and corresponding practices) and the extent to which they foster or constrain possibilities for educational equity.
In the Centre for Arts and Social Transformation, I am working on a small book of essays and prose with Professor Peter O'Connor to consider the place of wonder in education.
Teaching | Current
- EDUC 116 Introduction to Educational Thought
- EDUC 204 Philosophy and Sociology of Education
- EDUC 308 Teachers and Teaching
- EDUC 603 Education and Society
EDUC 308 and EDUC 603
Areas of expertise
- Sociology of Education
- Secondary English Curriculum
- Paulo Freire
- Poststructuralist frameworks
School of Critical Studies: Teaching and Learning Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Rozas Gomez, C. (2013). Strangers and orphans: Knowledge and mutuality in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Educational Philosophy and Theory: Incorporating ACCESS, 45 (4), 360-370. 10.1080/00131857.2012.718152
- Rozas Gomez, C. A. (2011). Literacy 'by hook or by crook': differentiated access to literacy in secondary English Classrooms. Changing trajectories of teaching and learning (pp. 149-164). Wellington: NZCER.
- Rozas Gomez, C. A. (2011). Literacy, diversity, and performativity in secondary English classrooms. Paper presented at Language, Education & Diversity Conference, Faculty of Education, Auckland, New Zealand. 22 November - 25 November 2011.
- Bullen, P., Farruggia, S. P., Rozas Gomez, C. A., Hebaishi, G. H., & Mahmood, M. R. (2010). Meeting the Graduating Teacher Standards: The added benefits for undergraduate university students who mentor youth. Educational Horizons, 89 (1), 47-61.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Pat Bullen, Mohamed Alansari
- Rozas Gomez, C. A. (2007). The possibility of justice: the work of Paulo Freire and difference. Studies in Philosophy and Education: an international quarterly, 26, 561-570. 10.1007/s11217-007-9065-z
- Rozas Gomez, C. A. (1994). Vital facts for girls: Constructing the feminine in Adventist churches University of Auckland. University of Auckland.