Associate Professor Lawrence Zhang
PhD, MA (Hon), PGDipELT (Distinction), BA
As an applied linguist, Dr Lawrence Jun Zhang is Associate Professor of Language and Literacy Education/Applied Linguistics & TESOL in the School of Curriculum and Pedagogy and Associate Dean International Strategic Engagement for the Faculty of Education. His research programme spans cognitive, linguistic, sociocultural and developmental factors in reading/ biliteracy development, critical reading awareness in language education, metacognition, self-regulated learning (SRL) and reading development in L1 and L2 contexts, bilingual/biliteracy acquisition and bilingual/biliteracy education in primary and secondary schools, and learning and teaching English as a second/foreign language at university settings, the effects of self-regulated reading and writing instruction on bilingual/biliteracy development, and teacher identity and cognition in language teacher education.
Dr Zhang was a Post-Doctoral Visiting Fellow at the University of Oxford Department of Education. He was the sole recipient of the TESOL Award for Distinguished Research 2010-2011 awarded by the TESOL International Association, USA, for his paper published in TESOL Quarterly, 44(2), “A dynamic metacognitive systems perspective on Chinese university EFL readers”. As one of the leading scholars in the field of TESOL, he has served the profession as an editorial board member for several international journals, including TESOL Quarterly, Applied Linguistics Review, Metacognition and Learning and RELC Journal. He has also been a frequently invited manuscript reviewer for leading journals in the field, Reading Research Quarterly, Language Learning, Language Teaching, Foreign Language Annals, System, English for Specific Purposes, Instructional Science, Research Papers in Education, Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Asia Pacific Education Researcher, Language Teaching Research, European Journal of Psychology of Education, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, and Educational Psychology: An International Journal of Experimental Educational Psychology, among others. He was Principal Investigator of a Singapore MOE-funded research project (200K NZD equivalent) and Co-PI of two other MOE-funded projects (370K NZD).
Areas of Expertise
- Second language acquisition and learning / TESOL
- Bilingual-biliteracy acquisition/learning
- Cognitive manipulation on the quality of L2 writers' composition
- Codeswitched texts for learning vocabulary and reading comprehension
- Self-regulated learning (SRL) and metacognition in language learning
- Vocabulary, reading, and writing development in children and adult learners
- Pedagogical grammar and grammar pedagogy
- Second and foreign language teaching and learning
- Language teacher professional development
- Teacher identity, cognition and change
Supervision of Doctoral Research Theses
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Current at UoA, Main/Primary Supervisor
- Incidental EFL Vocabulary Learning through Codeswitched Reading Tasks, co-supervisor Professor Judy Parr
- Socio-cultural Context and Self-regulated Learning: A study of International Chinese EFL Learners’ SRL Strategies for Learner Autonomy, co-supervisor Associate Professor Martin East
- Developing Critical Literacy in Indonesian EFL Students: Exploring the Impact of Feedback Use on Reader Response for Understanding Mother Nature Texts and Contexts, co-supervisor Dr Sue Gray
- Veridicality, Reactivity, and Usability of Metacognitive Verbal Reports in Second Language Learning: A Study of University EFL Writers, co-supervisor Professor Judy Parr
- Chinese University Teachers’ and Students’ Beliefs, Perceptions, and Practice in Grammar Teaching in ELT, co-supervisor Dr Constanza Tolosa
- A Study of the Correlation between Affective Factors and L2 Chinese Advanced-level Speakers’ Oral Performance, co-supervisor Dr Sue Gray
- A Study of Code-switching amongst Technical Subject Lecturers in Malaysian Polytechnics, co-supervisor Dr Mei Lai
- Teacher Identity in the Field of Foreign Language Teaching: Dilemmas of Professional Development for TESOL Teachers in China, co-supervisor Dr Margaret Kitchen
- Teachers’ Cultural Awareness and Its Influence on Student-Centred Classrooms: A Study of Chinese-as-a-Second-Language (CSL) Teachers in New Zealand, co-supervisor, Dr Ruth Williams
- The Impact of the Application of Multimedia Resources in English Classrooms of Two Senior High Schools in China: A Mixed-methods Study, co-supervisor Dr Rebecca Jesson
- Exploring Effective EFL Teaching in Chinese Universities: Links between Teacher Knowledge and Practice, co-supervisor, Professor Stuart McNaughton
- Investigating the Key Determinants of Identity, Psychological Adaptation, and Sociocultural Adaptation among Iranian Student Immigrants Settled in New Zealand, co-supervisor Professor Stephen May
PhD Past (Nanyang Technological University Singapore)
- Effects of Planning and Revising on Chinese EFL Learners’ Quality in Written Production
- Raising Students’ Awareness of the Quality of Translation through Linguistic Function Analysis: An Appraisal Study
- English Reading Strategies of Primary Pupils in Multimedia-Mediated Environments: An Exploratory Factorial Study
- Assessing the Vocabulary Growth of Chinese EFL Learners
- Analysis of Reading Comprehension Processes and Strategies Used by Test-Takers in the College English Test –Band 4 in China: A Mixed-Methods Study
MA Current at UoA (MA-in-Ed-by-Research 240-point Thesis), Sole Supervisor until Dec 2012
- Researching Learner Anxiety in Foreign Language Learning: Expanding the Theoretical Bases
MA Past (Applied Linguistics), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- The Impact of Metacognitive Scaffolding and Monitoring on Reading Comprehension Tasks, 2012
- Analyzing the Effectiveness of Multimodal Courseware Design from the Perspective of Cognitive Load Theory, 2012
- An Investigation of Authority Construction through the Use of Reporting Clauses in Discussion Sections of Chinese Students’ MA Dissertations in Singapore and China, 2012
- Effects of Metacognitive Strategic Reading Instruction on Primary School Pupils’ Reading Improvement, 2008
- An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of the Online Writing Assessment System in ETAS, 2007
- Functional-Lexical Code-Paired Norms of Mandarin-English Bilinguals, 2006
- Strategies in Reading Comprehension: Case Studies of Good and Poor Upper Primary School Readers, 2006
Student Perspectives on Reticence in the ESL/EFL Classrooms: Comparing High and Low Proficiency PRC Tertiary Students, 2005
- EDPROFST 380 TESSOL: Teacher Research Design - GradDipTESSOL (Also in BEd(TESOL))
- EDUC 348 The Reading Process
- EDPROFST 706 Language Analysis for Teachers
- Recipient of the TESOL Award for Distinguished Research 2011, TESOL International Association, Alexandria, VA, USA
- Post-Doctoral Visting Fellow, Department of Education, University of Oxford, UK
- Invited seminar "Taking a Sociocultural Turn in Researching Young Learners’ Use of Language Learning Strategies" delivered at the Department of Education, University of Oxford, 2nd June, 2009.
- Invited seminar "Language Education in Asia: Opportunities and Challenges: Reflections on the Bilingual Education Policy in Singapore and the 'New English Standards' in China" delivered at St. Anthony’s College, University of Oxford, 3rd June 2009.
- Invited seminar "A Dynamic Metacognitive Systems Perspective on Foreign Language Learning" delivered at the School of Foreign Language Studies, Northwest University for Nationalities, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, China, 28 October 2011.
- Invited seminar "Writing and Publishing in a Globalized World" delivered at Yangtze University, Jingzhou, China, 7 December, 2009.
- Invited seminar "Effects of Teachers’ Explicit Metacognitive Explanation and Scaffolding on Developing Emergent English-Chinese Bilingual Writers in Singapore Classrooms" delivered at the Research Centre into Language Education and Acquisition in Multilingual Societies, The Hong Kong Institute of Education, HKSAR, China, 19 April, 2010.
- Invited seminar "Debating the Recent Debates in SLA Research: Revisiting the Developments in SLA Research" delivered at The South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, China, 13 November, 2006.
- Invited Visiting Professor Lecture "Recent Developments in SLA: The Social Turn in Language Learning Strategy Research" delivered at Yanshan University, Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province, China, 2 November, 2005.
- Invited Visiting Professor Lecture "Sociocultural Approaches to SLA Research: Changing Perspectives and Agendas in LLS Research" delivered at Hebei University, Baoding City, Hebei Province, China, 5 November, 2005.
- Invited public talk "Towards a Goal-Oriented Tradition in LLS Research: Personal Reflections on Research into Chinese EFL Learner Strategies" delivered at Chang'an University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 25 May, 2004.
- Invited public talk "Chinese EFL Professionals Thinking of Publishing Research Work in International Journals: Possibilities and Constraints" delivered at Chang'an University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 26 May, 2004.
- Invited public talk "Constructivism as a Paradigm: Why Do We Have to Teach Reading and for What Purposes?" delivered at Chang'an University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 27 May, 2004.
- Invited Public Lecture "Talking about Language Learning Strategies: Examining the Wider Implications for Teachers and Students" delivered at Xi'an International Studies University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 28 May, 2004.
- Invited seminar "Conducting Research into Chinese EFL Learner Strategies: Publlicising Pitholes and Anticipating Prospects" delivered at the Zhixing College, Northwestern Normal University, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, China, 5 June 2004.
- Invited Public Talk "Constructivism and EFL Reading: Re-interpreting Language Learning and Teaching within a New Paradigm" delivered at Lanzhou University, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, China, 7 June, 2004.
Service for International Refereed Journals as an Invited Editorial/Advisory Board Member
- Applied Linguistics Review (Walter de Gruyter, New York) (2009-present) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Metacognition and Learning (Springer, New York) (2005-present) (SSCI-indexed)
- TESOL Quarterly (flagship journal of TESOL, Inc., Alexandria, VA) (2007-2011) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Asia TEFL (flagship journal of the Asia TEFL) (2006-2009) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Asian EFL Journal (Time-Taylor International, Seoul) (2006-present)
- TESL-EJ (University of California - Berkeley, California (2004-present)
- Linguistics Journal (Time-Taylor, Seoul & British Virgin Islands) (2004-2009)
- International Journal of Research in ELT (Turkey Educational Research Association) (2010-present)
- Reflections on English Language Teaching (National University of Singapore) (2005-2012)
- English Language Teaching World Online (National University of Singapore) (2012 - present)
- Chinese Journal of Applied Linguistics (Walter de Gruyter, New York & Berlin) (2010-present) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- RELC Journal (Sage Publications, London, New York, Singapore) (2011–present) (SCOPUS-indexed)
Service for Regional Refereed Journals as an Invited Editorial/Advisory Board Member
- STETS Language and Communication Review (Singapore Tertiary English Teachers Society, Singapore) (2004-present)
- Teaching English in China: The CELEA Journal (CELEA and Language Teaching & Research Press, Beijing, PRC) (2003-2009) (SCOPUS-indexed)
Service for International Refereed Journal as Invited Manuscript Reviewer/Referee
- Language Learning (Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, England & MA, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- TESOL Quarterly (flagship journal of TESOL, Inc., Alexandria, VA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Foreign Language Annals (ACTFL Inc., Alexandria, VA, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Language Teaching (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Language Teaching Research (Sage, New York and London) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Applied Linguistics (Equinox Publishing, London, UK) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Critical Inquiry in Language Studies (Routledge, London, UK) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Asian Journal of English Language Teaching (Chinese University of Hong Kong Press) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Current Issues in Comparative Education (Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, USA)
- Journal of Chinese Language Education (Singapore Centre of the Chinese Language, Singapore)
- Perceptual & Motor Skills/Psychological Reports (Ammons Scientific, Inc., MT, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of International Migration and Integration (Springer, New York, USA) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Reading in a Foreign Language (National Foreign Language Resource Center/University of Hawai‘i)
- International Journal of Bilingualism (Sage Publications, London, and New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- System (Elsevier Science Direct, Amsterdam, Holland & Oxford, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- TESL Canada Journal (TESL Canada Federation, Burnaby, BC, Canada) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- English for Specific Purposes (Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Second Language Writing (Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Asia Pacific Journal of Education (Routledge, London & New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Research Papers in Education (Routledge, London & New York, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal (Springer, New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Instructional Science: An International Journal of the Learning Sciences (Springer, Boston) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Early Childhood Literacy (Sage Publications, London & New York) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- European Journal of Psychology of Education (Springer, New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Educational Psychology: An International Journal of Experimental Educational Psychology ///(London, Taylor and Francis) (SSCI-indexed)
- Asia Pacific Education Researcher (Springer, New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Reading Research Quarterly (International Reading Association, Newark, DE, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
Service as an Invited Reviewer/Referee for Edited Volumes and Authored Books
- Asia TEFL, Inc. Book Series, Seoul, Korea, 2008
- Multilingual Matters Publishers, Inc., Bristol, UK, 2009
- Independent Learning Association, Auckland, NZ for University of Hong Kong Press, Hong Kong, 2010
- Singapore Centre for the Chinese Language, Singapore, 2009
- Edinburgh University Press, UK, 2011
- Palgrave Macmillan Academic Press, UK, 2011
- Springer Academic Publishing, Germany, 2011
Co-Editor (Aug 2005 - Jan 2009)
- SAAL Quarterly (Singapore Association for Applied Linguistics, Singapore), (Aug 2005 - Jan 2009)
- TESOL Quarterly (Brief Reports Section) (TESOL International Association, USA, Wiley-Blackwell), (Dec 2012 - present) (SSCI-indexed)
Professional Association Memberships
- Member, American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL), USA
- Member, and Chair of the NNEST Interest Section, Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) International Association, USA
- Member, Applied Linguistics Association for New Zealand (ALANZ), New Zealand
- Member, Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages of New Zealand (TESOLANZ), New Zealand
- Member, International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA), UK
- Member, Singapore Tertiary English Teachers Society (STETS), Singapore
- Secretary (until Feb 2012), Singapore Association for Applied Linguistics (SAAL), Singapore
- Member, International Study Association on Teachers and Teaching, UK
Current: Service to University of Auckland, New Zealand
- International Committee, University of Auckland (Feb 2012 – present)
- International Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – present)
- Education Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – present)
- Equity Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – present)
- Admissions Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – present)
- Postgraduate Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – present)
- Research Committee, Faculty of Education (March 2012 - present)
Previous: Service to National Institute of Education (NIE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- Co-Chair, NIE’s Postgraduate Programs Core Team under the TE21 Implementation Program (2011-2012)
- Chair, English Language & Literature Seminar Committee (2005-2012)
- Chair, the 13th International Conference on English Language in Southeast Asia (ESEA 2008) Organizing Committee (2007-2008)
- Chair, Committee on the Development of the Advanced Diploma in English Language Study (2005-2006)
- Chair, English Language & Literature Academic Group’s Program Coordinators Committee (2004-2006)
- Advisor, Postgraduate Diploma in English Language Teaching Program (2000-2008)
- NIE’s Postgraduate Programs Core Team under the TE21 Implementation Program (2009-2010)
- NIE’s Academic and Administrative Systems Teaching Functions Committee (2008-2009)
- Organizing Committee of the International LangScape Conference 2006: Exploring Ways of Teaching English Language & Literature (2005-2006)
- ELL Academic Group’s Faculty Search/Hire Committee (April 2011-Feb 2012)
- ELL Academic Group’s Faculty Re-appointment Committee (Oct 2010-Feb 2012)
- NIE’s Head Search Committee appointed by Dean of Faculty Affairs of NIE for the Asian Languages and Cultures Academic Group (February 2011-December 2011)
- ELL Academic Group’s Research Ethics Committee (Jan 2011-Feb 2012)
Service to Other Institutions (Doctoral Thesis External Examiner)
- University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, 2012
- Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia, 2012
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia, 2012
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2012, 2013
- Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong SAR, 2011, 2013
- Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, 2011
- University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia, 2010
Externally Funded Research Projects
- Enhancing Singaporean Students' Motivation, Efficacy, Engagement, and Self-Regulation for More Effective Bilingual/Biliteracy Learning. CRPP-MOE-funded project – Principal Investigator (S$213,000).
- An In-depth Study of Independent Variables within and outside School That Impact Literacy and Reading Habits (Stage I): A Formative Evaluation of a School-Based Extensive Reading Programme. CRPP-MOE-funded project – Co-Investigator (S$110,000).
- Integrating Classroom Discourse Corpus for Teachers’ Reflective Practice and Professional Development. CRPP-MOE-funded Research Project - Co-Invstigator (S$99,975).
Research Work/Reports Completed
- Hu, G., Gu, P. Y., Zhang, L. J., & Bai, R. (2009). English Language Learning Strategies in Singapore Primary Schools. Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice, Office of Education Research, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
- Goh, C.C.M., Zhang, L. J., Ng, C. H., Koh, G. H. (2005). Teacher Knowledge and Beliefs about English Language Teaching: Effects on Classroom Practices. Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice, Office of Education Research, NIE, Singapore.
- Ben Said, B. S., & Zhang, L. J. (Eds.). (projected publication Dec 2012). Language Teachers and Teaching: Global Perspectives, Local Initiatives. London and New York: Routledge Taylor & Francis.
- Zhang, L. J., Rubdy, R., & Alsagoff, L. (Eds.). (2011). Asian Englishes: Changing Perspectives in a Globalised World. Singapore/London/New York: Pearson Education.
- Gu, Y. Q., Hu, G. W., Zhang, L. J., & Bai, R. (2011). Strategy-Based Instruction in English Language Teaching: Focusing on Reading and Writing Strategies. Beijing, China: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
Articles in International Refereed Journals
- Zhang, L. J. (in press). Second language writing as and for second language learning: A dialogue. Journal of Second Language Writing, 22(4). Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science. (SSCI-indexed)
- Zhang, L. J. (2013). Thinking metacognitively about “metacognition” in second and foreign language learning and teaching: Beyond simple dichotomies in researching second/foreign language learning and teaching. Contemporary Foreign Language Studies, 387(12).
- Zhang, L., & *Zhang, L. J. (2013). Relationships between test takers’ strategy use and test performance in the CET-4 Reading subtest: A structural equation modelling approach. RELC Journal: A Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 44(1), 35-57. London, UK: Sage. (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Shegar, C., *Zhang, L. J., & Low, E. L. (2013). Effects of an input-output mapping practice task on EFL learners’ acquisition of two grammatical structures in English. System, 44(3), 283-308. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science. (SSCI-indexed)
- Ehrich, J. F., *Zhang, L. J., Mu, J. C., & Ehrich, L. C. (2013). Are alphabetic-language derived models of L2 reading relevant to L1 logographic background readers? Language Awareness, 22(1), 39-55. London & New York: Routledge. (SSCI-indexed)
- Ong, J., & *Zhang, L. J. (2013). Effects of the manipulation of cognitive processes on EFL writers’ text quality. TESOL Quarterly, 46, Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell. (SSCI-indexed)
- Aghaie, R., & *Zhang, L. J. (2012). Effects of explicit instruction in cognitive and metacognitive reading strategies on Iranian EFL students’ reading performance, transfer of reading strategies, and self-efficacy. Instructional Science: An International Journal of the Learning Sciences, 40(6), 1063-1081. New York: Springer Science. (SSCI-indexed)
- Gong, W., Zhang, D. L., Zhang, L. J., Kiss, T., & Ang-Tay, M. Y. (2011). Socio-psychological factors and strategy use in Singaporean schoolchildren’s English literacy learning. Reflections on English Language Teaching, 10(1), 1-24. Singapore: National University of Singapore.
- Zhang, C. H., & Zhang, L. J. (2011). Developing and validating a listening comprehension problems scale (LCPS) for enhancing Chinese university students’ metacognitive awareness of L2 listening. The Journal of Asia TEFL, 8(3), 177-205. Seoul: Asia TEFL.
- Zhang, L. J. (2010). A dynamic metacognitive systems account of Chinese university students’ knowledge about EFL reading. TESOL Quarterly, 44(2), 320-353. Alexandria, VA, USA: TESOL, Inc./ Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Zhang, L. J. (2010). Negotiating language, literacy and identity: A sociocultural perspective on children’s language learning strategies in a multilingual ESL classroom in Singapore. The Applied Linguistics Review, 1, 247-270. New York, USA/Berlin, Germany: Walter de Gruyter Mouton.
- Ong, J., & Zhang, L. J. (2010). Effects of task complexity on fluency and lexical complexity in L2 writing. Journal of Second Language Writing, 19(4), 218-233. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science.
- Ong, K., & Zhang, L. J. (2010). Metalinguistic filters within the bilingual language faculty: A study of young English-Chinese bilinguals. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 39(3), 243-272. New York, USA: Springer Science.
- Zhang, L. J., & Wu, A. (2009). Chinese senior high school EFL students’ metacognitive awareness and use of reading strategies. Reading in a Foreign Language, 21(1), 37-59. Manoa, Hawai‘i, USA: National Foreign Language Resource Centre, University of Hawai‘i College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature.
- Tang, S., & Zhang, L. J., & Dong, Y. (2009). Integrating cooperative learning into genre-based teaching of EFL writing. Teaching English in China: The CELEA Journal, 32(1), 99-108. Beijing, PRC: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
Guest-Edited Journal Issue
- Contemporary Foreign Language Studies (Monthly Journal), Vol. 389, Issue No. 12, 2013), Shanghai Jiaotong University Press, China.
Invited/Commissioned Reviews in Refereed Journals
- Zhang, L.J. (2013). Commissioned review of Amy B. M. Tsui, Gwyn Edwards, & Fran Lopez-Real’s book “Learning in School-University Partnership: Sociocultural Perspectives” (New York, Routledge, 2009). Pedagogies: An International Journal, 8(3), 231-233. London/New York: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Zhang, L. J. (2012). Commissioned review of Rod Ellis’ “Language Teaching Research and Language Pedagogy” Oxford, UK, Willey-Blackwell, 2012). System, 40(4), 565-574. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science. (SSCI-indexed)
- Zhang, L. J. (2011 a). Commissioned review of Catherine Doughty and Michael Long’s “Handbook of Language Teaching” (Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell, 2009). International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 21(2), 266-270. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Zhang, L. J. (2010). Commissioned review of Rod Ellis’ (2008) “The Study of Second Language Acquisition” (2nd ed.) (Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2008). System, 38(1), 146-149. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science.
- Zhang, L. J. (2010). Commissioned review of Diane August and Timothy Shanahan’s (2006) “Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners: Report of the National Literacy Panel on Language Minority Children and Youth” (Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 2006, iv + 669 pp). Pedagogies: An International Journal, 5(4), 356-357. London: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
- Zhang, L. J. (2009). Commissioned review of Andrew Cohen & Ernesto Macro’s (2007) “Language Learner Strategies: Thirty Years of Research and Practice” (Oxford University Press, Oxford & New York, 2007, iv + 232 pp). Applied Linguistics, 30(4), 619-622. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Zhang, L. J. (2009). Commissioned review of Richard Young's (2009) “Discursive Practice in Language Learning and Teaching” (Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 2009, xii + 267pp). System, 37(4), 743-745. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science.
Refereed Chapters in Edited Books
- Gao, X. A., & Zhang, L. J. (2011). Joining forces for synergy: Agency and metacognition as interrelated theoretical perspectives on learner autonomy. In G. Murray, T. Lamb, & X. Gao (Eds.), Identity, Motivation and Autonomy: Exploring Their Links (pp. 25-41). Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Rubdy, R., Zhang, L. J., & Alsagoff, L. (2011). The dynamics of Englishes in Asia: Description, innovation and application in a globalised world. In L. J. Zhang, R. Rubdy, & L. Alsagoff (Eds.), Asian Englishes: Changing Perspectives in a Globalised World (pp. 1-25). Singapore/London/New York: Pearson Education.
- Zhang, L. J. (2010). Understanding and teaching reading. In Y. Wu (Ed.), Applied Linguistics: A Second Language Education Perspective (pp. 78-85). Beijing, PRC: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- Gu, P. Y., Hu, G., & Zhang, L. J. (2009). Listening strategies of Singaporean primary school pupils. In R. Silver, C. C. M. Goh, & L. Alsagoff (Eds.), Language Learning in New English Contexts (pp. 55-74). London, UK: Continuum International Publishing.
Refereed Papers in Conference Proceedings
- Gong, W. G., Zhang, D. L., Zhang, L. J., Kiss, T., & Ang-Tay, M. Y. (2011). A social-psychological perspective on Singaporean schoolchildren’s strategy use in English literacy learning. In R. Radikha (Ed.), The Proceedings of the 3rd CELC International Conference on ELT: Global Perspectives, Local Initiatives: Reflections and Practices in ELT (pp. 1-20). Singapore. Singapore University Press.
- Zhang, L. J. (2010). The ecology of communicative language teaching: Reflecting on the Singapore experience. In Jianping Chen, Yan Liu, & Sanshan Shen (Eds.), Innovating English Teaching in China: Selected Papers from the 2006 CELEA Annual Conference and the 3rd International Conference on CLT in China (pp. 32-60). Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press.
- Zhang, L. J., Rubdy, R., & Alsagoff, L. (2009). Introduction. In L. J. Zhang, R. Rubdy, L. Alsagoff (Eds.), Englishes and Literatures-in-English in a Globalised World: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on English in Southeast Asia (ESEA 2008) (pp. 1-10). Singapore: National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University.
Technical Reports and Research Monographs
- Zhang, L. J., Zhang, D. L., Zeng, Y. J., Gong, W. G., Ang-Tay, M. Y. (2012). Enhancing Singaporean Students’ Motivation, Efficacy, Engagement, and Self–regulation for More Effective Bilingual/Biliteracy Learning. Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice, Office of Education Research, NIE, Ministry of Education, Singapore.
- Hu, G., Gu, P. Y., Zhang, L. J., & Bai, R. (2009). Styles and Strategies for Success: English Language Learning in Singapore Schools. Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice, Office of Education Research, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
Papers in Professional Journals
- Zhang, L. J. (2012). Moving beyond the native-nonnative divide: Message from the Chair. TESOL NNEST IS Newsletter. Alexandria, VA, USA: TESOL, Inc.
- Zhang, L. J. (2011). Students’ self-efficacy and self-regulation in English-Chinese biliteracy learning. SingTeach, 29. Singapore: National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University.
- Zhang, L. J. (2009). Teaching critical reading to in-service EFL teachers in Singapore. TESOL Teacher Education, 24(1), 1-10. Alexandria, VA, USA: TESOL, Inc.