Dr Peter David Bray
PhD, MEd, BEd.
Peter is a Senior Lecturer and leads the Counselling programme in the School of Counselling, Human Services and Social Work at the University's Epsom Campus. Prior to his appointment in Auckland, Peter was an Associate Professor at the Eastern Institute of Technology in Hawke's Bay where he was a Principal Lecturer in Counselling for eight years. Before this Peter was a school counsellor and the director of a student services centre at Mangere College in South Auckland. Much of his earlier career was spent teaching Drama and English in the United Kingdom.
Research | Current
Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader in Counselling
Areas of expertise
Currently, Peter's research and writing in counselling and psychology concern themselves with exploring the position of individuals, clients, and patients who are challenged by crises or who might be encountering personal losses. Peter is also interested in the role that spiritual dimensions of experience play in post-traumatic growth. In addition he has a very keen interest in theatre and performance, which sometimes influences his work more than it should.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Bray, P. (2017). The Hero-Journey, Hamlet and Positive Psychological Transformation. Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 002216781668935-002216781668935. 10.1177/0022167816689357
- Bray, P., & McLean, L. (Eds.) (2015). At the Crossroads of Crisis and Opportunity: Interdisciplinary Conversations. Oxford, England: Inter-Disciplinary Press. Pages: 342. Related URL.
- Bray, P., & Borlescu, A. M. (Eds.) (2015). Beyond present patient realities: Collaboration, care and identity. Oxford, England: Inter-Disciplinary Press. Pages: 194. Related URL.
- Bray, P., & Casal, T. (Eds.) (2014). Beyond diagnosis: Relating the person to the patient – the patient to the person (1st). Oxford, England: Inter-Disciplinary Press. Pages: 208. Related URL.
- Bray, P. (2013). Bereavement and transformation: a psycho-spiritual and post-traumatic growth perspective. Journal of religion and health, 52 (3), 890-903. 10.1007/s10943-011-9539-8
- Bray, O., & Bray, P. (Eds.) (2013). Voicing Trauma and Truth: Narratives of Disruption and Transformation (1st). Oxford, England: Inter-Disciplinary Press. Pages: 316. Related URL.
- Bray, P. (2010). A broader framework for exploring the influence of spiritual experience in the wake of stressful life events: Examining connections between posttraumatic growth and psycho-spiritual transformation. Mental Health, Religion and Culture, 13 (3), 293-308. 10.1080/13674670903367199
- Bray, P. (2008). Counselling adolescents when ‘spiritual emergence’ becomes ‘spiritual emergency’. New Zealand Journal of Counselling, 28 (1), 24-40. Related URL.