Dr Lisa Jean Darragh
2014 - PhD Education (mathematics); 2006 – Masters of Education (first class honours); 1997 – Bachelor of Education; 1996 – Diploma of Teaching (primary)
Previous professional experience:
- 2018 – (current) Lecturer, University of Auckland, Faculty of Education and Social work
- 2015-2017 Post-Doctoral Fellow CMM y CIAE, Universidad de Chile, Santiago.
- 2014 Guest lecturer “MATHS 302”, University of Auckland
- 2013 Marking assistant, AUT (Auckland University of Technology)
- 2012-2014 Education consultant (Maths Technologies)
- 2010-2011 Member of TRLI funded research team: Mathematics Undergraduate Teaching: Perspectives and Interactions
- 2003-2009 (& 1999-2000) Head of curriculum, mathematics: Kowhai Intermediate School, Auckland
- 2001-2002 Grade 9 mathematics, science, health teacher: Qitiqliq High School, Nunavut, Canada
- 1997-1998 Teacher: Birkdale Intermediate School, Auckland
Professional Roles and Affiliations:
Member of International committee MES, MERGA, NZARE, PMA, IOWME
University Committees served on:
2018 - (current) CURRPD research committee
2011-2014 PGSA Education committee
- Darragh, L. (2018): Loving and loathing: Portrayals of school mathematics in young adult fiction.
- Darragh, L. (2018): Recognising and identifying the participant in mathematics education research: A socio-political act.
- Darragh, L. (2016): Identity research in mathematics education. Educational Studies in Mathematics 93 (1):19-33. doi: 10.1007/s10649-016-9696-5
- Ell, F., L. Darragh (2015). The influence of research on children’s mathematical thinking on the New Zealand mathematics curriculum., In J. Morgan (Ed.) The 21st Century curriculum? Auckland, Edify.
- Darragh, L. (2015) Recognising gender in mathematics identity performances – Playing the fool? In S. Mukhopadhyay & B. Greer (Eds.) Proceedings of the eighth international mathematics education and society conference (pp. 441-454), Portland, Oregon: MES8
- Darragh, L., R. Golds, M. Lyon (2015) Mathematics for environmental justice. In R. Averill (Ed.), Mathematics and statistics in the middle years: Evidence and practice (pp. 118-130). Wellington, New Zealand: NZCER Press.
- Darragh, L. (2015). Recognising 'good at mathematics': Using a performative lens for identity. Mathematics Education Research Journal 27 (1): 83-102. doi: 10.1007/s13394-014-0120-0
- Darragh, L. (2014). Asking questions and performing mathematics identity. In J. Anderson, Cavanagh, M. & Prescott, A. (Eds.) Curriculum in focus: Research guided practice: Proceedings of the 37th Annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia (pp. 175 -182), Sydney: MERGA
- Darragh, L. (2013). Sticking with it or doing it quickly: What performances do we encourage in our mathematics learners? In V. Steinle, L. Ball & C. Bardini (Eds.), Mathematics Education: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow: Proceedings of the 36th annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia (pp. 218-225). Melbourne: MERGA.
- Darragh, L. (2013) Constructing confidence and identities of belonging in mathematics at the transition to secondary school. Research in Mathematics Education. 15 (3), 215-229. doi: 10.1080/14794802.2013.803775
- Bartholomew, H., Darragh, L., Ell, F., & Saunders, J. (2011). 'I'm a natural and I do it for love!': exploring students' accounts of studying mathematics. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 42(7), 915-924.
- 2010 – Maths in the Media and Teacher’s Notes (Figure it Out Series by Learning Media)
- 2007 – Financial Literacy. Granny’s Gift and Teacher’s Notes (Figure it Out Series by Learning Media)
- 2017 October – CEMACYC: Discursos de maestros de matemáticas acerca del déficit y la habilidad en el contexto de un programa de desarrollo professional (with Luz Valoyes-Chávez)
- 2017 April - MES9 (Mathematics Education in Society): “Neoliberalism: A crisis for mathematics education?” Symposium co-ordinator.
- 2017 April - MES9 (Mathematics Education in Society): “Fears and desires: Researching teachers in neo-liberal contexts.” Oral communication
- 2017 April - MES9 (Mathematics Education in Society): “Performing girl and good at mathematics: Scripts in young adult fiction.” Oral communication
- 2016 December – SOCHIEM (XX Jornadas Nacionales de Educación Matemática): “Obstáculos y oportunidades después del desarrollo profesional en matemática primaria” Presentation.
- 2016 December – III Simposio de Estadística y Probabilidad en el Aula Escolar: “El ciclo PPDAC y tarjetas multivariadas” Invited speaker.
- 2016 August - PME (Psychology of Mathematics Education): “TRUmath in Español: Evaluating lesson quality after PD in Chilean mathematics classrooms” Oral communication.
- 2016 July - ICME (International Congress of Mathematics Education): “Recognising learners and teachers within the social and political dimensions of mathematics education.” TSG Plenary panel.
- 2016 July - ICME (International Congress of Mathematics Education): “Social, political, personal and imagined constraints on enacting change after professional development” Presentation.
- 2016 January - Segundo Simposio Estadística y Probabilidad en el Aula Escolar: “Enseñanza y aprendizaje de la estadística en enseñanza básica.” Invited speaker.
- 2015 June - MES8 (Mathematics Education in Society): “Recognising gender in mathematics identity performances – Playing the fool?” Presentation.
- 2014 June/July - MERGA (Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia): “Asking questions and performing mathematics identity.” Presentation.
- 2013 July - MERGA: “Sticking with it or doing it quickly: what performances do we encourage in our mathematics learners?” Presentation.
- 2013 Mathematics Education in Society 7: Students’ mathematics identity constructions as they transition to secondary school
- 2012 NZARE: Students’ mathematics identity performances – on the stages of intermediate and secondary school
- 2011 DELTA: 'I’m a natural and I do it for love!': exploring students’ accounts of studying mathematics
- 2011 Mathematics Student Research Conference: The Mathematics Club – Are you a member?
Research | Current
My main research platform is the area of mathematics identity. This extends to both the performance and the recognition of identity in school students and pre and in-service teachers. My research includes looking at available scripts or ways of being within local and wider contexts. I take a socio-political perspective on this theme and others, such as neoliberalism within mathematics education. I am also interested in reflexive and alternative methodologies within the qualitative paradigm.
PhD Thesis: Raising the curtain of mathematics identity: The drama of transition to secondary school Masters Thesis: Students’ Peer Learning Choices in Mathematics.
Teaching | Current
All levels of mathematics education in CURRPD
I welcome new masters and PhD students, especially those interested in mathematics education and / or issues of learner and teacher identity
- 2015 – Fondecyt post-doc funding
- 2013 – Presenters prize at Faculty of Education Doctoral and Postgraduate Symposium.
- 2012 – Finalist in 3 minute thesis competition at Auckland University
- 2011 – First place (equal) presentation at Mathematics Department Student Research Conference
- 2011 – University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship
- 2010 – CLNZ Educational Publishing Award – Best book or series in primary education (for ‘Maths in the Media’) see: http://bpanz.org.nz/?option=com_content&view=article&id=122&Itemid=35
- 2005 – NZEI (New Zealand Education Institution) study award
Areas of expertise
Mathematics and statistics education
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Darragh, L., & Radovic, D. (2019). “To Tia with love”: Chilean mathematics teacher identities after professional development. ZDM - Mathematics Education10.1007/s11858-018-01023-7
- Darragh, L., & Valoyes-Chávez L (2019). Blurred lines: producing the mathematics student through discourses of special educational needs in the context of reform mathematics in Chile. Educational Studies in Mathematics10.1007/s10649-018-9875-7
- Darragh, L. (2018). Loving and Loathing: Portrayals of School Mathematics in Young Adult Fiction. JOURNAL FOR RESEARCH IN MATHEMATICS EDUCATION, 49 (2), 178-209.
- Darragh, L. (2017). Performing girl and good at mathematics: Scripts in young adult fiction. In A. Chronaki (Ed.) Mathematics in life and times of crisis: Proceedings of the ninth international mathematics education in society conference, 1, 232-236. Volos, Greece: MES9.
- Darragh, L. (2017). Fears and desires: Researching teachers in neoliberal contexts. In A. Chronaki (Ed.) Mathematics Education in life and times of crisis: Proceedings of the ninth international mathematics education and society conference, 1, 227-231. Volos, Greece.
- Darragh, L. (2016). Identity research in mathematics education. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 93 (1), 19-33. 10.1007/s10649-016-9696-5
- Darragh, L. (2016). Obstáculos y oportunidades después del desarrollo profesional en matemática primaria. In S. Estrella, M. Goizueta, C. Guerrero, A. Mena, J. Mena, E. Montoya, A. Morales, M. Parranguez, E. Ramos, Vásquez P (Eds.) Actas. XX jornadas nacionales de educación matemática, 420-423. Valparaiso, Chile.
- Darragh, L. (2015). Recognising gender in mathematics identity performances-Playing the fool?. In S. Mukhopadhyay, B. Greer (Eds.) Proceedings of the eighth international mathematics education and society conference, 2, 441-454. Portland, OR, USA: MES8.