PhD (University of Hawaii Hilo), MA Applied Linguistics (University of Waikato), BEd (University of Waikato), CTEFLA (University of Waikato/awarded by University of Cambridge), Diploma in Bilingual Teaching (University of Waikato), Diploma in Teaching (University of Waikato)
Ko Rangipoua te Maunga
Ko Hāparapara te awa
Ko Rutaia te hapū
Te Whānau-ā-Apanui te Iwi
Katarina Edmonds has been involved in education since becoming a teacher in 1980. Since 1988 her teaching, academic and non academic professional roles have been focused on Māori medium education and the revitalisation of the Māori language across the education sector from policy to practice, from grassroots to academia. She is keenly interested in the revitalisation of indigenous languages internationally, part of that included studying for her doctorate at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo which offers a PhD in Hawaiian and indigenous language and culture revitalisation. Her dissertation focused on the reliability and validity in proficiency testing of the Māori language.
Research | Current
- 2013 - Principal Investigator, Kaiaka Reo: Reo-ā-waha, Māori Oral Language Proficiency Progressions (Funded by the Ministry of Education): https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications/maori/105966/kaiaka-reo-reo-waha-ki-te-motu
Teaching | Current
Course Director and Lecturer:
- EDPROFM 205
- EDPROFM 209
- EDPROFM 313
- EDPROFM 702
- EDPRACM 302B
- 2009 - Post Doctoral Fellow, Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi
- 2016 - Co-Director, Te Huarahi Māori
Areas of expertise
- Māori language proficiency in oral and written language
- Māori-medium education
- 2015- Teaching, Learning and Quality Committee, Faculty of Education and Social Work, The University of Auckland
- 2015- Teaching Education Committee, Faculty of Education and Social Work, The University of Auckland
- 2015- Te Puna Wānanga Senior Leadership Team, Faculty of Education and Social Work, The University of Auckland
- 2015- Te Puna Wānanga Te Huarahi Māori Committee, Faculty of Education and Social Work, The University of Auckland
- 2016- PGRAES Committee, Faculty of Education and Social Work, The University of Auckland
- 2012-2015 Māori Language Commissioner, Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Edmonds, C. A., & Dale, H. (2015). Te whiringa pūmau o te reo me tētahi kitenga tūpou ā-tangata. In Kaʹai-Mahuta R, H. Kelly, Mahuta, D, J. Moorfield (Eds.) Te Puna o te Kī : he kohinga kōrero nō te hui, 102-119. Auckland, N.Z.: Te Ipukarea - The National Māori Language Institute. AUT University.. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Hemi Dale
- Edmonds, K. (2015). The Maori oral language proficiency of Year 1 to Year 8 students. Paper presented at 21st Annual Stabilizing Indigenous Languages Symposium 2014 (SILS 2014), Hilo, Hawai'i. 15 January - 19 January 2014.
- Edmonds, C. A. (2012). Māori language proficiency in writing: The Kaiaka Reo Year Eight writing test. In J. D. Brown (Ed.) Developing, using and analyzing rubrics in language assessment with case studies in Asian and Pacific languages (pp. 87-130). Honolulu: National Foreign Language Resource Center University of Hawai'i at Māno.
- Brown, JD, & Edmonds, C. A. (2012). Issues in analyzing rubric-based results. In J. D. Brown (Ed.) Developing, using and analyzing rubrics in language assessment with case studies in Asian and Pacific languages. Honolulu: National Foreign Language Resource Center (University of Hawai'i at Mānoa).