Dr Frauke Meyer
PhD, MEd, PGradDipE, MEd (teaching-special needs) GER
Research | Current
- Interpersonal leadership practices and capabilities (Open-to-learning conversations, problem-solving, building relational trust, openmindedness)
- Organisational leadership parctices (goal-setting, leadership effectiveness, coherence)
- Leadership preparation (leadership induction, beginning principals' experiences, mentoring)
- Teaching for Better Learning (TBL): An inquiry-oriented approach to teaching standards
Teaching | Current
EDPROFST 738 Educational Leadership
EDPROFST 782 Educational Change
Supervision areas: Educational leadership, leadership practices, trust, mentoring
Preferred methodology: Mixed methods and qualitative.
Masters and Doctoral (EdD, PhD)
Areas of expertise
Frauke Meyer is a Lecturer at the Faculty of Education and a Research Associate with the Faculty's Centre for Educational Leadership. Her academic career and research has four main strands: educational leadership and leadership practices, teacher education, literacy practices and special needs education. Her current research is concerned with school leadership, leadership induction/mentoring and interpersonal leadership practices. The immediate focus of her research is the analysis, assessment, and development of interpersonal behaviours that promote relational trust. Her expertise lies in qualitative as well as quantitative research methodologies and mixed methods designs. Frauke has worked on a number of small to large-scale research projects and program evaluations.
- Member of the Auckland Science Policy Exchange Initiative by the Office of the Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor Professor Sir Peter Gluckman
- Member of the LDPP Postgraduate Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Meissel, K., Meyer, F., Yao, E. S., & Rubie-Davies, C. M. (2017). Subjectivity of teacher judgments: Exploring student characteristics that influence teacher judgments of student ability. Teaching and Teacher Education, 65, 48-60. 10.1016/j.tate.2017.02.021
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Esther Yao, Kane Meissel, Christine Rubie-Davies
- Meyer, F, Le Fevre, D. M., & Robinson, V.M.J. (2017). How leaders communicate their vulnerability: Implications for trust building. International Journal of Educational Management, 31 (2), 221-235. 10.1108/IJEM-11-2015-0150
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Deidre Le Fevre, Viviane Robinson
- Sinnema, C., Meyer, F., & Aitken, G. (2017). Capturing the Complex, Situated, and Active Nature of Teaching Through Inquiry-Oriented Standards for Teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 68 (1), 9-27. 10.1177/0022487116668017
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Claire Sinnema
- Meyer, F., Yao, E., & Meissel, K. (2016). Sources of Variability in Summer Learning in New Zealand. Paper presented at AERA 2016, Washington, D.C. , US. 8 April - 12 April 2016. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kane Meissel, Esther Yao
- Robinson, V. M., Meyer, F., Sinnema, C., & Le Fevre, D. (2016). Truth-seeking or truth-claiming? Leaders' patterns of social problem solving. Paper presented at 2016 American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, USA. 8 April - 12 April 2016. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Deidre Le Fevre, Viviane Robinson, Claire Sinnema
- Meyer, F., Robinson, V. M. J., Sinnema, C., & Patuawa, J. (2016). Practices of and challenges for novice principals in setting goals for school improvement. Paper presented at AERA annual meeting, Washington D.C., US.. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Viviane Robinson, Claire Sinnema
- Le Fevre, D. M., Sinnema, C. E. L., & Meyer, F. (2016). Possibilities for school improvement through Open-to-learning Leadership. In V. M. J. Robinson, D. M. Le Fevre, C. E. L. Sinnema (Eds.) Open-to-learning leadership: How to build trust while tackling tough issues (pp. 231-245). Moorabbin, Vic: Hawker Brownlow Education.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Deidre Le Fevre, Claire Sinnema, Viviane Robinson
- Meissel, K., Meyer, F., Yao, E., Rubie-Davies, C., Timperley, H., & Ell, F. (2015). Exploring student characteristics that influence teacher judgments of student ability. Paper presented at 16th Biennial Conference of EARLI (European Association for Research in Learning and Instruction), Limassol, Cyprus. 25 August - 29 August 2015. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christine Rubie-Davies, Kane Meissel, Esther Yao, Fiona Ell