Dr Angel Chan
PhD, MEd (Hons), BEd, Teacher Certificate
Dr Angel Chan is a lecturer in the School of Curriculum and Pedagogy, Faculty of Education and Social Work. Angel has taught in diverse education settings, ranging from early childhood education, primary, secondary to tertiary, in Hong Kong and New Zealand. She also held various leadership and management roles in the past. Her teaching and research aim at promoting social justice and cohesion by supporting teachers to develop inclusive pedagogy to work with diverse families.
Research | Current
Angel’s research interests are in the field of sociology, cultural studies and early childhood education. Her research areas include: the politics of identity, diversity, immigrant families in education settings, transnational parenting, critical multiculturalism, and teaching and learning in Chinese contexts. She is currently investigating how the notion of 'superdiversity' is promoted in New Zealand.
Teaching | Current
- EDCURRIC 211 Languages and literacies
- EDCURRIC 213 Social sciences education
- EDCURRIC 631 Languages and cultures
- EDPROFST 716 Early years pedagogy (postgraduate)
- EDCURRIC 751 Early Childhood Education Curriculum Issues (postgraduate)
Kamini Kamdar: Tracing elements of the Reggio Emilia Approach: A closer look at the Ontario kindergarten curriculum and Te Whariki (with Dr Marek Tesar)
Rebecca Mackintosh: Are we on the same path? An investigation of whanau, teacher and institutional aspirations (with Asso Prof Helen Hedges)
Kiri Gould: Privitisation and discourses of social justice in early childhood education (with Dr Sandy Farquhar)
Tian Yang: Using digital devices in kindergartens in China (with Asso Prof Cathy Gunn)
Emily Lin: Integration of ‘New Zealand’ early childhood education discourses: A case study of a kindergarten in China (with Dr Marek Tesar)
Noor Hasnieza Hashim: Children's social and emotional readiness for school (with Asso Prof Helen Hedges and Dr Deborah Widdowson)
Ye Zhang: Block play in early childhood education settings in Hong Kong (with Asso Prof Helen Hedges and Dr Deborah Widdowson)
Chan, Hailey: The professional identity of early childhood teachers in inter-professional work (with Asso Prof Helen Hedges)
Angel was shortlisted for the New Researcher Award by the New Zealand ChildForum Research Network in 2006
Course Director of EDCURRIC 211, 213 and 631
Areas of expertise
- early childhood education
- critical multicultural studies
- immigrant studies
- transnational parenting
- sociology of childhood
- learning and teaching in Chinese education contexts
- life story
- narrative and discourse analysis
- reflexivity in research
- CURRPD research committee
- ECE sector co-leader: PGDipTchLrn development team 2017
- Manuscript reviewer for: Global Studies of Childhood, Contemporary Issues of Early Childhood, Early Childhood Folio, New Zealand Research in ECE Journal, The First Years: Nga Tau Tuatahi. New Zealand Journal of Infant and Toddler Education, Education as Change
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chan, A., & Spoonley, P. (2017). The politics of identity and the construction of childhood: Chinese immigrant families in New Zealand. Global Studies of Childhood, 7 (1), 17-28. 10.1177/2043610617694730
- Chan, A. (2017). Transnational parenting practices of Chinese immigrant families in New Zealand. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, 146394911769120-146394911769120. 10.1177/1463949117691204
- Chan, A. (2017). Reflection, reflexivity, reconceptualisation: Life story inquiry and the complex positionings of a researcher. Reconceptualizing Educational Research Methodology, 8 (1), 27-39. 10.7577/rerm.2544
- Chan, A. (2016). The politics and construction of identity and childhood: Chinese immigrant families in New Zealand early childhood education. Paper presented at 24th International Reconceptualizing Early Childhood Education Conference, Taupo, New Zealand. 30 October - 3 November 2016. Related URL.
- Chan, A., & Ritchie, J. (2016). Parents, participation, partnership: Problematising New Zealand early childhood education. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, 17 (3), 289-303. 10.1177/1463949116660954
- Chan, A., & Ritchle, J. (2016). Parents, participation, partnership: Problematising New Zealand early childhood care and education. Paper presented at The VII Conference on Childhood Studies: Childhood in Everyday Life, Turku, Finland. 6 June - 8 June 2016. The VII Conference on Childhood Studies: Childhood in Everyday Life.
- Chan, A. (2016). Diverse languages, cultures and identities in a bicultural Aotearoa New Zealand. Paper presented at Northern Auckland Kindergarten Association Annual Conference 2016, Auckland, New Zealand. 29 April - 29 April 2016.
- Chan, A., & Ritchie, J. (2016). Parent-teacher partnership: New complications for an old aspiration. The First Years Ngā Tau Tuatahi, 18 (2), 9-15.