Associate Professor Ben Paul Dyson
Ph.D. Ohio State University, USA. Dissertation Title: A case study of two alternative elementary physical education programs. (1994). Masters in Education, University of Victoria, Canada. B.Ed. Otago University, New Zealand.
Ben Dyson is an Associate Professor in the School of Curriculum and Pedagogy. Ben's two related areas of scholarship are: research on school-based physical education and Cooperative Learning. His work aligns closely with his commitment to advance theory to improve policy and practice in school physical education. Ben's scholarship involves school-based research with students and teachers and makes a valuable contribution to our understanding of effective pedagogy for children’s health and well-being.
Ben has carried out school-based research and taught for over twenty years in Canada, the USA, and New Zealand. For the last four years he has served as the Editor of the Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, published by Human Kinetics in the US. This is the first time an academic from outside the US has become the the co-editor of this leading journal in Physical Education.
Ben has published two books on Cooperative Learning in Physical Education:
1) Dyson and Casey (2012) defines Cooperative Learning in physical education, examines the research on Cooperative Learning in a variety of educational settings, and presents research from eight different countries.
Dyson, B., & Casey, A. (2012). Cooperative learning in physical education: A research based approach. London, UK: Routledge. ISBN # Hardback: 978-0-415-66738-8.
2) Dyson and Casey (2016) provides theory, research, and practice to implement Cooperative Learning in a numbers of educational settings.
Dyson, B. & Casey, A. (April, 2016). Cooperative Learning in Physical Education and Physical Activity: A practical introduction. London, UK: Routledge.
Ben has presented at 90 keynotes, invited lectures at national and international conferences and has published over 70 refereed research articles, book chapters, and books.
In 2014 he was elected onto the International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (Association Internationale des Écoles Supérieures d’Éducation Physique, AIESEP).
Please contact Ben Dyson for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research | Current
- Innovative curriculum and instruction in Physical Education
- Cooperative Learning as a pedagogical practice
- Physical Education policy implementation in schools
Teaching | Current
- EDCURRIC 103 Health and Physical Education
- EDCURRIC 335 Research study in Health and Physical Education
- Co-Director of the EdD programme for the School of Curriculum and Pedagogy
MEd / MA / PhD / EdD Supervision
In 2016 he was presented with the "Editorial Leadership" award from Human Kinetics for serve as Editor to the Journal of Teaching in Physical Education from 2012-2016.
In 2013 he was presented the JB Nash Scholar Lecture awarded from The American Alliance of Health Physical Education Recreation and Dance.
In 2011 he was awarded one of the most prestigious awards for a research paper in our field; the “Exemplary Paper Award” for the American Education Research Association, Research on Learning and Instruction in Physical Education, Special Interest Group. For our JTPE paper: Dyson, B.P., Linehan R.N., Hastie, P. (2010). The ecology of cooperative learning in an elementary school physical education classes. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 29, 113-130.
Since 2006 he has been a Fellow of the Research Consortium of the American Alliance of Health, Physical Edication, Recreation, and Dance.
In 2005 Ben was Awarded the "Advocacy Volunteer" from the American Heart Association for service to the State of Tennessee.
Co-cordinator and Co-Director of the Education Doctorate (EdD) programme in the Faculty of Education and Social Work at The University of Auckland New Zealand.
Areas of expertise
- Curriculum and instruction in Physical Education
- School-based research
- Qualitiatve Methodologies
- Mixed Methods research
2014-present The International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (Association Internationale des Écoles Supérieures d’Éducation Physique, AIESEP).
2011-present Physical Education University Advisory Board for the National Association of Physical Education New Zealand.
2005-present Editorial Board for the Journal of Teaching in Physical Education,
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Dyson, B., Cowan, J., Gordon, B., Powell, D., & Shulruf, B. (2017). Physical education in Aotearoa New Zealand primary schools. European Physical Education Review, 1356336X1769808-1356336X1769808. 10.1177/1356336X17698083
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Darren Powell
- van Lier, L. E., Utter, J., Denny, S., Lucassen, M., Dyson, B., & Clark, T. (2016). Home Gardening and the Health and Well-Being of Adolescents. Health promotion practice10.1177/1524839916673606
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Simon Denny, Jennifer Utter, Terryann Clark, Mathijs Lucassen
- Dyson, B. P., Colby, R., & Barratt, M. (2016). The Co-Construction of Cooperative Learning in Physical Education With Elementary Classroom Teachers. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 35 (4), 370-380. 10.1123/jtpe.2016-0119
- Wallhead, T., & Dyson, B. (2016). A didactic analysis of content development during primary Cooperative Learning classes. European Physical Education Review, 23 (3), 311-326. 10.1177/1356336X16630221
- Gordon, B., Dyson, B., Cowan, J., McKenzie, A., & Shulruf, B. (2016). Teachers’ Perceptions of Physical Education in Aotearoa/New Zealand Primary Schools. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies, 51 (1), 99-111. 10.1007/s40841-016-0042-3
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Boaz Shulruf
- Dyson, B., & Casey, A. (2016). Cooperative Learning in Physical Education and Physical Activity A Practical Introduction. Routledge. Pages: 214.
- Dyson, B. P., Kulinna, P., & Metzler, M. (2016). Introduction to the Special issue: Models based practice in physical education. The Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 35 (4), 297-298. 10.1123/jtpe.2016-0203
- Dyson, B. P., Gordon, B., Cowan, J, & McKenzie, A (2016). External Providers impact on physical education in Aotearoa/New Zealand primary schools. Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport & Physical Education, 7 (1), 3-19. 10.1080/18377122.2016.1145426