Dr Aaron John Wilson
Aaron Wilson is a lecturer in the School of Curriculum and Pedagogy and an Associate Director of the Woolf Fisher Research Centre. His research interests are in interventions to address disparities in education, disciplinary literacy teaching in secondary schools, English, blended learning, and teacher professional development. Aaron has led the literacy strand of the Starpath project since 2011 and was the Principal Investigator and National Coordinator for the Secondary Literacy Project 2009-11, an intervention in 60 secondary schools that aimed to raise the achievement of underachieving Year 9 and 10 students.
Before joining Woolf Fisher at the beginning of 2008, Aaron was Team Leader of Secondary Literacy at Team Solutions where he managed professional development facilitators in the areas of English, cross-curricular literacy, and English for Speakers of Other Languages. He was one of the writers of the Best Evidence Synthesis: Teacher Professional Learning and Development which investigated key attributes of effective professional development programmes.
Aaron has been a National Examiner and Panel Leader for NCEA Level 2 English in New Zealand, as well as the Regional Examiner for the South Pacific Board of Educational Achievement’s Form 7 English examination. Before joining The University of Auckland, Aaron was a Head of English and Assistant Principal at Aorere College.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Wilson, A., Madjar, I., & McNaughton, S. (2016). Opportunity to learn about disciplinary literacy in senior secondary English classrooms in New Zealand. The Curriculum Journal, 27 (2), 204-228. 10.1080/09585176.2015.1134339
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stuart McNaughton
- Kiro, C., Hynds, A. S., Eaton, J., Irving, E., Wilson, A., Bendikson, L., ... Rangi, M. (2016). The Starpath Project. Starpath Phase 2. Final Summative Evaluation Report. Auckland: Starpath Project, The University of Auckland. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anne Hynds, Cynthia Kiro, Linda Bendikson, Mark Broadwith, Victoria Cockle
- Kiro, C., Eaton, J., Irving, E., Webber, M., Broadwith, M., Wilson, A., ... Bendikson, L. (2015). The Starpath Project for Tertiary Participation and Success: What have we learnt about equity and excellence in low-mid decile secondary schools?. Paper presented at Te Toroa Titiro Tawhiti: Emancipation through Education, Whakatāne, New Zealand. 17 November - 20 November 2015. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cynthia Kiro, Anne Hynds, Mark Broadwith, Victoria Cockle, Melinda Webber
- Wilson, A. J., McNaughton, S., Cockle, V., & Zhu, T. (2015). Subject area literacy instruction in low SES secondary schools in NZ. Paper presented at 16th Biennial European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI) 2015 ; Towards a Reflective Society: synergies between learning, teaching and research, Limassol, Cyprus. 25 August - 29 August 2015. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stuart McNaughton, Victoria Cockle
- Wilson, A. J., & Oldehaver, J. (2015). Talking about text: Changing patterns of discourse in low-decile secondary. Paper presented at New Zealand Association for Research in Education (NZARE) Conference 2015: Te Toroa Titiro tawhiti/ Emancipation Through Education, Whakatane. 17 November - 20 November 2015. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jacinta Oldehaver
- Jesson, R., McNaughton, S., & Wilson, A. J. (2015). Raising literacy levels using digital learning: A design-based approach inNew Zealand. The Curriculum Journal, 26 (2), 198-223. 10.1080/09585176.2015.1045535
- Jesson, R. N., McNaughton, S., & Wilson, A. J. (2015). Raising literacy levels using digital learning: a design-based approach in New Zealand. The Curriculum Journal, 26 (2), 198-223. 10.1080/09585176.2015.1045535
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rebecca Jesson, Stuart McNaughton
- Lai, M. K., Wilson, A., McNaughton, S., & Hsiao, S. (2014). Improving Achievement in Secondary Schools: Impact of a Literacy Project on Reading Comprehension and Secondary School Qualifications. Reading Research Quarterly, n/a-n/a. 10.1002/rrq.73
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stuart McNaughton, Mei Lai