Faculty of Education and Social Work

Certificate of Proficiency

A Certificate of Proficiency is an option if you want to study just one course - not a full qualification. It will give you recognition for taking a course outside the framework of a University of Auckland degree.

A Certificate of Proficiency (COP) enables you to gain recognition for studying a course outside the framework of a formal University degree. If you decide you have a taste for learning and want to reassign the points from your COP course to a qualification, our student advisers can help you to plan the best study option for you.

If you are a teacher in a primary or intermediate school the Ministry of Education subsidised courses may be taken as a Certificate of Proficiency. Your eligibility will need to be considered and any prerequisites, corequisites or other conditions must be met.

For further information on the  Ministry of Education fees subsidies including application forms and course information, visit  


Reassigning Certificate of Proficiency courses to a degree

After completing a COP, should you decide that you would like to go on to complete a University qualification you may be able to reassign the points from your COP.

A course, or courses, passed for a Certificate of Proficiency may be able to be reassigned to a taught masters degree, a postgraduate diploma or a postgraduate certificate provided that:

  • No more than 30 points are reassigned.
  • The enrolment in the postgraduate qualification is no later than three semesters from the initial enrolment in the course(s) reassigned from Certificate of Proficiency.
  • The application to reassign is made at the time you are admitted to the postgraduate qualification.
  • The course is available in the schedule of the qualification to which it is reassigned.

View the full regulations for this qualification.


Application for admission

Apply now or learn more about the application process (How to apply).