Postgraduate research funding

You can seek funding for your research projects through a variety of avenues besides the PReSS account. These include external sources as well as the University.

University-sponsored research funding

Speak to your postgraduate adviser or research supervisor about opportunities for University-sponsored research funding.

Externally-sponsored research funding

Externally-sponsored research is managed according to the type of funding agency.

  • Commercial research is administered by UniServices Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the University.
  • Public domain research is administered by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), supported by the Research Committee and the Research Office.

Commercial research

Research is deemed commercial if it is funded by a sponsor who is the end user of the results, and who expects sole access to the results for a defined period of time.

External sponsors of commercial research include:

  • Companies
  • Government departments
  • Crown Research Institutes

For information on commercial research contracts, contact Auckland UniServices Ltd:

UniServices House
70 Symonds Street
New Zealand
Phone: +64 9 373 7522
Fax: +64 9 373 7412

Public domain research

All other research is considered to be in the public domain, and is defined as such.

External sponsors of public domain research include:

  • The Ministry of Research, Science and Technology.
  • Most foundations, trusts, and charities.

To find out more about how to apply for research contracts from these sponsors, and to get copies of application forms, contact the Research Office.

Current funding rounds

We advertise current funding rounds for our core funding sources in Next Week in Focus.

You can download coversheets for research funding applications: